Friday, December 17, 2010

Constructing a Necron Tomb Stalker Part 2, Painting

If you were out at Evolution this past Wednesday, you saw me bring the Tomb Stalker out to play. It's about 95% done... I still want to make one more addition. Unfortunately, the TS didn't really get into the battle, (Stoopid phase out), but I will post that battle report soon.

I put more into painting the base then I did the TS. For the Tomb Stalker, I stuck to my Necron Army paint scheme. I start with a black primer, then drybush Boltgun Metal on top. After that, a drybrush of Mithril Silver is added. I picked up some metallic colored paints from my local Michael's store, and I use those pretty often, especially with the Necrons. I use the metallic turquoise to paint the Necron sigil, with a highlight of the sigil itself in shining gold. I then went over the eyes with metallic red. That pretty much sums up how I do it, however, the best trick is the sealer. I use a heavy coat of Armory Matte Sealer. That really dulls the shine of the metal, and gives it a dead, souless, look.

Sorry I don't have pictures of it up yet, but I felt that the basing was more important, and you'll see it in the finished picture shots.


 For the base, I used the standard 50/50 mix of Elmer's glue and water to secure the talus rocks to the base. The Rhino shell I painted with a 50/50 mix of shadow grey and space wolf grey, so that it would have space wolf colors. I then used a heavy wash of black and brown inks to dirty it up.
 Next, I painted the whole base with a dark brown (P3's Umbral Umber). To simulate the blast marks, I used some "grimy black" weathering powder. This stuff is absolutely amazing, and very easy to work with. Look for a product review in the near future.
To finish off the base, I drybrushed a brownish/grey color (P3's Bastion Grey) over the rocks to make them pop. Next, I sealed the base with the matte sealer.

Finally, I glued the Tomb Stalker to the top.




I'll post more pictures in Part 3 of the series, flocking the base, and the finishing touches.

Until then!

5 comments:

  1. That base looks great dude. I would use a seperate brush set for the powder though TJ said it drys the hell out of the brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I forgot to mention that. Don't use brushes at all for the weathering powder, use a foam brush or a make-up sponge! Both work really well to apply the powder, and you don't have to worry about damaging your brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good use of the weathering powders, but the base seems to be missing something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warhammer, I agree! It is missing the Tomb Stalker! I left off the glued photo because I flocked the bare areas of the base, and I wanted to focus on flocking and finishing touches (like an very sweet gory addition) to the third and final part o the article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gamekiller
    gamekiller app
    game killer
    gamekiller apk
    gamekiller download
    Don't use brushes at all for the weathering powder, use a foam brush or a make-up sponge.

    ReplyDelete